Saturday, March 27, 2010

Oh Boy Oh Bug

Last night, I was laying in bed, thinking, I haven't blogged yet! But I figured it could wait. Among other thoughts in bed last night: giant cockroaches.

Yesterday, I found out that in Tokyo, cockroaches are a problem in the summer. I did not know this, and am glad no one told me about this beforehand. Some places have it more than others, and if you have a clean kitchen and a concrete building, you're less likely to have them.

But, for those of you who might not have known: I really hate bugs. I'm pretty sure what I do could be considered a tribal dance in some parts of the world when I have to kill a bug. It is a sight to be seen... and the thought of cockroaches just makes me crawl inside (no pun intended). Mark told me yesterday about flying cockroaches, but when I googled it (to see if it was real or if he was playing with me), I found only one post about it, and only in the rural areas of Japan. Just the thought that I won't be dealing with flying ones makes dealing with regular, nasty, 2-3 inch ones a smidgin better, in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not going to continue too much longer on the subject, because it just makes me shudder inside. However, there has been talk of my moving to another apartment when Hannah and Amy leave in a month. It's kinda my decision, though everyone's opinion has been that I should move.

I've considered my options. At my present location, my apartment is on ground level. It has considerable more space, and a heated carpet... Yes, that's right-- my carpet is electric. And beautiful. I like the general decor of the house. A negative side is that my neighbors are crazy, and sometime later, I will comment on that.

The other apartment is smaller, maybe considerably? (which also means it's cheaper when and if you use the heat), but rent is also obviously cheaper. However, they also have warm toilet seats (yes, many toilet seats in Japan are heated). Perhaps this does not mean anything to you... but let me just say that I know a guy who bought one here and took it home to the States for his mom. No further comments. About this other apartment, I do know that you have to light something? Maybe a pilot light? And if you know my history with pilot lights, you'll know that that is quite a negative (good thing I have a roommate to do those kinds of things!). Oh, it's also on the 2nd floor, and you have to squeeze past a washing machine to get to it.

Today, when walking down in Machida, I asked Amy about cockroaches and if she had a problem with them during the summer in her apartment. She said, no, we didn't have a problem, only a couple, but you have a problem in your's.

And that, my friends, sealed the deal. I will be moving the day after they leave.

In other news, yesterday I met my English student. It seems like it will be a good class, and since she is an assistant professor of Social Work at a university here in Japan, I will get to learn too alot about social issues and family things in Japan. She's really nice. I really like her.

Afterward, I went to Mark and Yuiko's house for lunch and then just to hang out for a while and talk and get to know each other. I asked a lot, a lot of questions about the ministry, culture and things like pressure from the family with regards to Christianity. They were really good to answer all of my questions without being tired of them (I'm a question-asker)... they also asked me questions about my personal history and things like that. We told stories and laughed a lot. I really enjoyed my afternoon with them and considered it very well spent.

Today was the Fuse meeting, and that's always a long day. You can check out from last week what we generally do, but it was good today, and Mark gave a message on Sakura/Easter. Sakura, you know, is the beautiful cherry blossom that lasts for only like 10 days or so. It's a huge thing here in Japan... and is scheduled for this week. So, he related that to Christ and how death brings life, etc., etc. It was really good.

Afterward, we broke up into the super-small groups, and talked a bit about it. Yuiko, 2 guys and a girl were in the group that I was in... and Yuiko asked if I would lead it because it's hard to translate and lead at the same time. I was a little taken off guard, but I hope that I did okay. The two guys shared some during the time, and Yuiko and I each shared a story... but in the end, I hope it ministered to them.

Anyhow, that was today... we all had a good time, and I bonded more with Saki-chan, which is good, since I think I'll be her life group leader when the other girls are gone.

Welllll... that's all for now. I've got a few other things to work on and then to get some sleep!!

2 comments:

  1. Ewww. I hate roaches as well. I think that would have been my motivation to move as well. Haha! I bet you will miss your heated carpet as well.
    Well at least I won't have to worry about the roaches when I visit in January!

    ReplyDelete
  2. as someone who plans to visit you someday, I really appreciate you finding a place w/o roach problems :) they give me the creeps!!

    ReplyDelete