Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Ode to the Umbrella

Today I got around the crack of dawn... okay, not really, around 7:50am, to talk to my parents on Skype. For the first time, we had a record "least amount of problems connecting". But still, it was good to talk for a while.

Today, it rained... All. Day. From what I hear, this is how the rains are here... Constant and long... not one heavy shower for a period of time. But anyhow, I got ready to leave this afternoon and stood outside, looking at the rain dropping on my bike seat and the general dreariness of the day. I paused there at my door, contemplating, okay.... do I really want to do this?

I knew that if I rode the bike that I could make it there in 20 minutes-ish... But that I'd also have to carry an umbrella at the same time AND my purse would get all wet. That would require some coordination and I'd have to hope there were few people in the crowded, narrow parts of town. There is little space in many parts of this city! On the other hand, I could walk, but it would take me longer (and it was cold)... and, well... that was my only real consideration.

I grabbed the umbrella from right inside the door, and as I pulled it out, I moaned... awh MAN! Not only was it made-for-a-child-tiny, but when I pulled it, my hand just kept going. The top part came off, and so I ended up walking, holding the umbrella at my ear. And basicaly, the only good it did was to keep my head and shoulders dry, and about the top half of my purse.

Half-way there, I saw convenience store that had umbrellas for sale... so I stopped and joyfully picked one up. Oh to be dry! And not even dry, but just not to get more wet by the rain!

Anyway, I made it to the Bible study where I was destined, and met some of the guys who are playing this weekend at the FUSE along the way. We had a good Bible study... and yesterday, I had made some salsa for the girls who had been so kind to help me lately, and they added velveeta cheese that someone had sent them from the States (who thinks of that?) but it was really, very good.

It was at this point that I found out that it is illegal to ride a bike with an umbrella. Note that everyone does it anyway, but still, it's illegal. However, if you get in an accident, it's automatically your fault. It's the equivalent of rear-ending someone in the States. It's just gonna be your fault.

The girls were really kind though this evening and walked home with me, walking with their bikes! They could have been home in just a few, but they walked home anyway, along side their bikes. Kengo and Yuiko did that the other day when they were with me... I wonder if that's just what you do? Perhaps I would have done it, but the point is-- on a cold rainy night, they could have been home a lot faster than they got home.

And beside, we had good conversation and laughs.

Well, right now, the warm carpet (yes, they have carpet warmers here... wonderful, wonderful things) and my bed are calling me, as I'm sitting here and my fingers are starting to freeze over. I know, I exaggerate.

Anyhow, I bid you adieu.

1 comment:

  1. Who would have thought. Illegal to ride a bike and carry an umbrella at the same time. Makes sense though. Probably precipitated by several nasty accidents.

    ReplyDelete