Saturday, May 10, 2008

Non-titled

Altotonga, Mexico -- Ok, so I'm at home and it's 6pm on a Saturday. What's going on?? It's Mother's Day here and since we have our big thing that we're combining efforts from the local church and the youth center-- anyway, that's tomorrow. So, since we weren't going to do anything special tonight with the moms, I told the kids-- we're not meeting! Spend time with you moms. But come on Sunday!

So, because it's Mom's Day, and everyone is with their families (or are supposed to be) I've taken advantage of getting stuff around here done... I have several lessons and video projects for the Club, and Japanese, and discipleship stuff to review, I really needed a day to get it done.I went out for about 45 minutes for a prayer walk this afternoon. That was good. While out and walking, I was thinking about something Chris told me this week. About 5 years ago, the youth went out during the parade and passed out tracts. Supposedly hundreds of them were torn up in front of them while handing them out. Well, last week after the meeting on Saturday, we went to the park and handed out like 400 or so of them in less than 15 minutes. And on Monday, the 5th, after the second parade, we went down to the park where there were thousands of people-- about 4 or 5. And we handed out about another 1000 more or so. I'm not really sure how many there were. But people were reading them and those who didn't receive would come up to us and ask for one. I was excited, but after Chris told me what had happened the last time, I was really just astonished. In 5 years, that has been the difference in the spiritual climate of Altotonga. One can only hope and pray out for what the next 5 years will bring.

I remember when I came back in the fall, I really felt like God was getting ready to spark a change. I had believed it would be within this next year. So, I was thinking about that as I was out on the prayer walk. I was praying for the change and praying that God would use me as His instrument to bring change. I think it was phrased better in my prayer. But anywho, it made me think about other missionaries who work hard for years and years, maybe their whole lives and never see the fruit of their labors. Of course, every missionary goes to the field expectint that they will be the catalyst that changes everything. That's where the thinking is incorrect-- we are not the catalyst. God is the catalyst. We are merely instruments.

But I thought about the fact that I have to be willing to pour out my work for the time that God calls me here, even if I don't see any fruits of amazing proportions.Think about Jim Elliot-- he died. He poured so much sacrifice into the work and did not see the fruit he was expecting. But, on the other hand, his death did do amazing things and produced fruit. Consider him unsuccessful? No. I don't, anyhow.

Anywho, I'm not going to live with the mentality of "poor missionary". Whatever. No, I believe and hope and pray for things to happen here. Can they happen? Of course. But maybe it was just God challenging me-- we have to do things all for God's glory and to work in faith, knowing that He is the catalyst. I should claim nothing for myself-- a servant never claims their work for themselves. A servant works their best for their master, no matter what the circumstances-- even if they don't understand.

Ok, off my disertation. So, let me tell you about this thing tomorrow. We're inviting all the moms and their fams from church-- and the church people are all supposed to invite other moms and their fams too. The youth band is playing, and because Aaron and Jessie are gone, they needed another person. So, I said I'd play bass with them. It's been kinda fun, jumping in there with them. It's not something I'm planning on doing all the time-- not at all. But for this occassion, because the church asked us to, I said I'd help out.

We're doing 2 mime pieces-- the same ones from Oaxaca-- though I had to find 2 other people, again since Aaron and Jessie aren't around. The pastor's sister- from another city and a leader of the women in an Amistad church there- is doing the talk, particularly for the mothers. And then I asked if I could present the Gospel afterward.So, I'm still thinking about what exactly I want to say. I have a few leadings and it's something I've been thinking about for the past few weeks. I normally am very planned out. I'm gonna sit down and try to write it out tonight-- and see if God doesn't change it on me tomorrow morning. And afterward, we're having a convivio. A convivio is like a potluck, or a get-together kinda thing. Obviously, the church people are providing all. I'm in charge of taking 5 kilos of tortillas (that's like 10 or 12 pounds).

And that's that, I think. Oh, I am starting discipleship with that one girl. I talked with her this week, and she seemed very excited to start that.

No comments:

Post a Comment