Tuesday, January 18, 2011

New Lessons for a New Year

Well, soooo much has been going on in the last few weeks... As I look at this coming year though, I think it will get even crazier.  Also, with returning to school and a regular schedule with FUSE things and work, it's been a bit of working at getting back into the groove. (Kaori and Maki, after the first FUSE of 2011... this last FUSE, they invited me out for dinner at a Japanese restaurant!  It was fun to spend time with them!!)

For one thing, I am looking at now moving in this next month.  There are many different factors that I am trying to balance all at the same time and make a decision that will be where I live for the next two years.  So, it's kinda big.  :)

But one really encouraging thing has been to watch Manami this week as recently she is posting so many things-- like Bible verses, and how she wants to praise Jesus more and read the Bible more and grow more.  How exciting is that?!?!  For real.  How privileged I feel to be a part of the work God is doing in her life!!  She played bass this week for FUSE on the band, and she did an awesome job. (At dinner the other night (mentioned in the caption above... this is okonomiyaki, and it's on a grill at our table, with noodles and all kinds of stuff in there... a bunch of deliciousness... Yoshi and Ty also came along for the ride... by the way, this is all cut into pieces and shared between us).

Oh, it just reminded me hearing this.... I am hearing the "clanking" of 2 pieces of wood together (kinda a higher pitch).  Here in Japan, a tradition started a long time ago, every night in winter they walk around banging this pieces of wood together.  The sound helps remind you to check your fires (of course, I don't have any)-- but rather to be careful of fire.  Winter time here is pretty dry, and many times in the past Tokyo has had great fires.  So, it's a warning to be careful.  Kinda like Smokey the Bear, but with a more eastern/mystical feel. 

But yes, it DOES get cold.  When I checked the temp the other morning, at 7am, it was 25°F and I had not used heat the night before (I sleep under a million blankets and don't feel it- but yes, getting up- it's painful, ha!).  Since I sleep by the window (which comes down to face level, since I sleep like 10 inches off the floor), and thus keep my alarm (ipod) by the window sill by my face, I awoke to a start the other morning... My ipod got so cold it turned off and the battery died. 

Moral of the story: if not for yourself- for your electronics, use a bit of heat at night.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment