Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Those Things that Stick Out

Altotonga, Mexico -- Hey! How are you guys doing?? I myself am doing pretty well... being here in Altotonga... we have had some beautiful weather and I am always thankful for that.

What have I been up to? Hmm... Well, last Saturday we had a get-together... an informal Bible study with the youth. I invited them over to my house and we played games, had soda, talked about God's Word, prayed, had fun. It was all very relaxed and good. They stayed for several hours... they enjoyed it a lot.

Apart from that, it's been a lot of visiting people, stopping to talk to people for a while on the streets, catching up on emails, info for this, info for that... Meeting one on one with kids. It's not been so hectic. And so I'm back delving into Japanese, reading and doing the Rosetta Stone program and the other materials I have when I don't have to be out and about.

Today I think all of Altotonga woke up in a good mood. Maybe it's because it was sunny early this morning. But I was out during Altotonga rush hour (7:50-8am; 1pm; 7pm) where EVERYONE is out on the streets, rushing to get to work, catching buses, etc. And I had my mp3 player on, watching people, smiling, joking, hanging on each other. I myself was in a pretty good mood, and seeing it made me smile even more.I was catching a bus to Orilla (Oh-ree-ya) to visit a friend. I haven't seen her since before I went to Japan, and boy was she happy to see me. She THREW her arms around me. Haha! Anywho, back up: I always sit on the driver's side of the bus (by the by- I don't have to pay the fare, because my friend's husband is the bus driver), because it has the best view. I really, really wish each and every one of you could come see it. It's not pretty at first... just houses and over-growth and chickens-- but after you get out there, it's pretty.

Today I saw one of those postcard moments. Or maybe what you think of when you think of Mexico. Of course, you may be thinking beaches, and well, I'm sorry to disappoint. Anywho, there was a patchwork of fields, something akin to pine trees and blue mountains in the distance. And coming down a dirt path was a horse pulling a cart with two men sitting on it. The ONLY thing missing was a giant sombrero for each man. The best scene of it all is similar to what I just described, only better. So, imagine that, take out the living beings, tweak the imagine to something incredible and there ya have it.

I've been contemplating moving back home and back to American culture, as I will be for a few months. Having my ma here, we talked through some of the details and logistics (my brother with amazing speed, took over my bedroom when I left almost 3 years ago)... It'll be different to be back. You change so much while you're gone and everyone back home changes so much too that it's not as automatic as you assume it would be. I'm not worried about it; I've just been considering differences. It's one of those things that you do need to be mentally prepared for.I remember when I first moved down here, I used to note how people were not "fashionably" dressed. Not to look down upon them, but I just didn't understand how a striped skirt and a floral print top went together. And now, 2.5 years later, I have on today a blue and burgundy striped shirt, a dark green and cream jacket, and black shoes.

And I really don't care.

Of course, I know that that will all have to change when I get back, and I really don't mind that. I like to dress well, but here comfort and warmth come before fashion, and that is a general rule.

There are other little things that will be different. Driving instead of walking. "Box food" instead of from-scratch stuff. No lighting of the water heater. Of course, even greater will be the change moving to Japan. I'll save that for another blog.

In a bit there will be more info on all this Japan news-- so stay tuned. Just be excited.

On another note, this weekend (after the Sat. meeting), I'll head to Valles-- I'm sure you all know Kathy P. is taking a group down and so I'll be with them, helping out in whatever I can and visiting with some very cool missionaries up there. I was extremely blessed by Grace's (she works with WIM) offer to help out with costs! I had been starting to think twice, but when I decided that I had better keep my word since I'd already told Kathy that I'd make it up there, well-- look what comes along! Praise God!!

One other note that I just can't seem to leave out. It doesn't fit in, but I haven't been able to put it out of my head. I saw THE strangest thing the other day-- an old lady in sweat pants. I believe I can safely say that it's rare to see a lady of 45+ years wearing pants; they ALWAYS have skirts on, no matter how cold it is. And NEVER do the tiny, hunched over little ladies have pants on. It never really struck me until that moment, but I recognized what was different immediately. I bet she was a revolutionary. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment