Monday, November 8, 2010

A Note on Fashion

So... Last Saturday, I was told, "You look like a poor girl."

What?!?! Of course, this was coming from someone who was wearing at that moment a $600 coat. I was also told at the moment with a slightly contemptuous look, "Take that scarf off, you look old."

Have you seen The Devil Wears Prada? There's a moment after Andy gets her job that Meryl Streep looks her from head to toe and then says, "That's all..." If you have seen it, you will know how Andy felt in that moment, and how I also felt in that moment as I was standing on the train platform.

Granted, this wasn't a stranger that said that to me, but a person who dearly loves me as a sister and I dearly love as a brother (and there is nothing more to be read into that sentence).

But, oh my gosh. The comment about my scarf was indeed reiterated the next day by another girl, as we were joking about me looking poor.

Fashion is super important to Japanese people. I know I've said it before, but it was in that moment that I really experienced it. It's superficial, but the Japanese are used to quality. That and I've heard Japanese people say about certain styles of dress-- that person dresses like people in the cults. Thankfully, my fashion is not at that level.

Now, I haven't gone out and bought a new wardrobe, but I am thinking more and more about what I put on each day.

And it certainly won't be that scarf.

2 comments:

  1. It better not be the scarf I gave you! I promise I still have some things coming your way. I'll let you know when I finally get it in the mail.
    Love you girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no, no, it's a different one. Everyone loves the one that you gave me. Including me. :)

    ReplyDelete