Monday, June 14, 2010

Retro Fuse, Rain and Quotes

It's the first day of the rainy season here in Japan! My teacher this morning informed me that from today on, there will be 40 days of rainy season and then the hot summer will come. I was under the impression that the hot humid summer was already here. (left: Tom, Kaori and Yuki)

Oh no, my friends.

So for the next month and some, I will be wearing my crocs and carrying an umbrella with me as if it were my best friend. And it will be.

This weekend was Retro FUSE. We had outreach on Friday night and then I stayed the night with Sally at the church so that we could 'fro my hair and then laugh at me in the morning. It happened as such, though I didn't get too much of a 'fro so much as a big ball of curls, that, had I had a big polka-dotted '50s style dress, I could have pulled off Lucille Ball. (right: Yoshi, Saki, me and Kengo hanging out before start)

As I took the tiny curlers out of my hair in the morning and had them bounce right back to my head, I kept saying... I don't know about this... Ok, all for Jesus.

Kengo, later in the morning, walked in the room and gave a SERIOUS start back. It was pretty funny. Anyway, we went to Machida a little later than usual since the start was later and then did Street Band in what is known as the smoker's plaza. Even though we didn't have too many great conversations, we were able to hand out some flyers, while some people did not want them. It got easier as more of our people showed up to hand out flyers. (left: Yuiko, Kaori and Saki hanging out afterward. Yuiko and Kaori were nominated for best-dressed Retro fashion)

Afterward, we had FUSE. It was good, though not as many people as we expected turned up. So, pray for us as we keep working and meeting new people that God will clear schedules and give boldness to go! Anyway, it was a good time. It was more relaxed and cafe-style... and we gave a "Kampai" (cheers!) to Jesus to celebrate Him at the end. (right: Mark giving a short message and Yuiko, his wife, doing the Japanese)

I got home around 10pm that night with lots of stuff being carried with me. After sweating so much during the day with all the humidity and stuffiness even inside houses, all I wanted to do it get myself clean! There have been a few times where I have felt dirtier than I did that night, but all I could want that evening was a good shower.

Sunday, I slept in... till 8:30. I could really sleep any longer, though I laid there for an hour, trying. I don't remember what all I got done Sunday morning, but it was enough. Laundry, for one (since I knew the rain was coming). In the afternoon, I had leader's lifegroup with Yuiko, but Sally couldn't make it. So, Yuiko and I caught up at a cafe in Shinyurigaoka that overlooked the station and served GIANT mugs of coffee and ice creams. We shared one, and just spent about an hour or so talking about everything from the FUSE and different situations going on to how my first few months have been and if my schedule is ok or too intense. Afterward, we walked around the shopping mall and just kinda looked around, and I found a few things that I needed for work, etc. (left: Yuiko and I with our matching Vision rings)

As a joke, Yuiko said that Debbie used to say that Fashion was part of the ministry. And being that here in Japan, the outside package is SOOO important (you'll see it in every facet), it definitely applies to fashion and it's true-- if you look like you're in fashion, Japanese young people will especially want to be your friend. It's not an excuse to follow die-hard after fashion, (I certainly don't!) but it's always very important to look your best here. (right: I told you they were big! I certainly couldn't finish mine, and we didn't finish that ice cream together!)

Perhaps it seems superficial, but what the Japanese think is this: if the outside looks good, what it has to offer is good too.

Anyway, like I said, I had a great time with her and felt refreshed on my fairly relaxed Sunday. I came home and got some stuff done and then studied Japanese and went to bed early as a way to start off my week with a full night of sleep. (left: Harajuku, on a crazy Sunday afternoon)

Unfortunately, I was still wide awake three hours later. Eventually, I fell asleep, and when I got up today, I was like, Lord, I'd like a seat on the train on the way to school. And, what do you know-- when I got on my train, I stood there for like 10 seconds, and then a guy got up and I got his seat!! A stop later, the guy next to me who was on the end got off, so I switched and got an end seat (the best seat, really).

At the station, I hung out and studied some more and then went on to school to do even more learning! I found out I had to buy a couple of more books (shoganai-- remember that? whatcha gonna do?)...

This afternoon, I came home and slept for a while and then went back to studying for my kanji test that I have the day after tomorrow. I think I will do pretty well, but I continue studying, because there are a few words that I mess up on sometimes. (right: I pass this road everyday on the way to school)

Speaking of which, I learned a phrase but then somewhere over the course of time, it got messed up, and so for the last week or so, I've been saying it wrong. I always feel dumb, and sometimes they don't correct you, so you go on saying it wrong. Anyway, I'll learn someday. Hopefully soon.

Well, this week is obviously more studying and then meeting and then an English class, and an outreach Wednesday night in Machida, and lifegroup with Saki-chan... With the rainy season, I don't know how much street band we'll get to do. Next week, we have a group coming for about 10 days too... So, never a dull moment! (right: I took Aaron to this busy but quiet temple in Harajuku, a five minute walk from the photo 2 ones above... Japan is a land of contrasts!)

Ending this, I'd like to quote a few observations that our newbie Mike (he's here for 6 months) made in his blog, which made me chuckle.

And I quote:

"...Since my last writing I have made a few observations:

...2) It is also acceptable for a man to carry a purse
I am a man. I carry a very very black leather manly man wallet. The unfortunate part is that the Japanese do not have bill until up around $10. This requires the carrying of coins...which has never been something that I've enjoyed doing. I'm still working on a practical solution to this problem, none of which contains carrying a purse.

3) You must look your best always
Again, something that is hard for me. Perhaps going to ICC with bedhead everyday for two years was not the best practice for living in Japan. Also, in my walkings and travelings I've maybe seen three
overweight people...and I'm in a city of millions. This custom, as opposed to the first two, I will conform to. It does not nullify my ingrained statutes for manhood and is probably good practice for when I am employed at some point in the future.

4) The toilets here are wonderful
Two words. Heated seat. Never again will I be able to do the cold-porcelain cringe without
thinking... "Oh Japan..how I miss your toilets." Whoever decided to make that feature standard to the toilets here should win an award. I can't even express to you how wonderful it is to be woken up so gently in the morning.

Those are the main ones, but there are other minor discoveries that have been made as well. Such as: don't leave your bread out on the table Sunday morning or it will be chopped up and used for communion. Or just because something looks like a snickerdoodle doesn't mean that it is, and that it is instead a salty snack. My tastebuds were a little surprised on that one."


Welcome to Japan, Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment